Patient Access Registrar
Company: Advocate Health
Posted on: September 19, 2023
- Performance of routine secretarial and clerical services in
support of department activities. This may include:
- 3)Contacts physicians to obtain and clarify orders. Performs
follow-up of verbal orders. Performs standing order review and
creates accounts as appropriate.
- 4)Open, sort, and route mail to the appropriate
- 5)Greets patients and directs visitors. Answers multiple
incoming telephone lines, accurately determining the appropriate
recipient of the call or message and referring them promptly and
- 6)Orders forms and office supplies as needed
- 7)Monitors and maintains various work queues and issue reports,
and/or performs special projects as assigned.
- 1)Receives, properly responds to, or redirects telephone,
electronic, and in-person inquiries from patients, payers,
physician and their staff, internal departments, external
organizations and other persons or entities. Obtains, receives and
documents accurate and thorough information when taking messages or
redirects calls appropriately. Schedules appointments as
- 2)Monitors the receipt and indexing of faxes received through
the electronic storage software, fax scanning system. Performs
maintenance on scanned faxes, including interpreting physician
orders; and naming, sorting and filing of faxes.
- Medical Record Services: Upholds standards for accurate and
timely medical records
- 2)Creates and maintains patient records and files within the
- 3)Prepares charts for scanning, ensuring that all pages are
present, completed and labelled with patient identification.
Follows up with appropriate individual if documentation is absent
- 1)Scans charts, ensuring that all pages are legible, upright,
scanned to the correct account. Indexes scanned pages to correct
- Accurately collects and analyzes all required demographic,
insurance/financial and clinical data necessary to register/admit
patients from all payer classes.
- 3)Understands and follows all government, managed care and
commercial insurance plan rules as they relate to patient access;
and ensures accounts are in order for timely billing and
- 4)Collects and records accurate and thorough patient,
guarantor, insured and insurance information when registering
- 5)Interprets and validates physician orders for service, uses
appropriate accommodation and service codes; and establishes
account parameters to ensure revenue is properly recorded and
accurate bills are produced
- 6)Accurately generates, assembles and processes all required
forms, documents and reports including face sheets, labels, and
medical record forms, and other special documents. Produces and
distributes these on a timely basis to both internal and external
- 7)Using insurance eligibility software, validates demographic
information and assures patients are eligible for service
- 8)Recognizes communication obstacles for patients with loss of
hearing and/or sight, and those that have trouble in reading,
writing and understanding the English language. Responds
appropriately to patients' communication needs, secures interpreter
or other necessary assistance to ensure customer
- 9)Appropriately explains, secures, and witnesses all signatures
required to provide medical treatment, assign insurance benefits,
release information, establish financial responsibility and meet
other internal regulatory, or payer requirements.
- 1)Using approved identification standards, positively
identifies the patient and ensures assignment of a unique medical
- 2)Completes the Medicare Questionnaire for all Medicare
- Performs revenue cycle activities that maximizes revenue,
prevent payment denials, increase cash collections and assures
appropriate financial disposition of account balances.
- 2)Accurately posts payments and adjustments to the patients'
account. Requests and accepts payments, generates receipts for
funds received and maintains necessary records of payment
transactions. Utilizes automated systems to process credit and
debit card transactions. Ensures payments are secured; and deposits
and cash drawers are balanced and turned over to appropriate
- 3)Initiates electronic and/or telephone inquires to insurance
payers/claim administrators. Provides information and secures
responses that confirm eligibility for the third-party benefits and
the level of benefits available.
- 4)Identifies and obtains needed authorizations, referrals and
service approvals from physicians, insurance companies and/or
medical management companies.
- 5)Explains to patients insurance benefits, patient balances and
provides information to ensure they understand the policies that
govern the revenue cycle and the processes that will be
- 6)Explains various payment options to the patient or
responsible party and negotiates acceptable resolution of expected
self pay balances. Explains the charity care process and provides
application packet. Updates system to record charity application
was given to patient/responsible party.
- 7)Using compliance checker software, screens physician orders
against medical necessity criteria. Follows procedures related to
obtaining additional diagnosis from physicians and initiating the
Medicare Advance Beneficiary Notice of Noncoverage to patients
- 8)Logs all patient visits, entering data not available at the
time of registration (discharge time, disposition, diagnosis,
- 9)Ensures insurance is updated, deposits and co-pays are
collected and financial applications provided when appropriate to
- 1)Inputs and checks charges for accuracy of charges. Audits
charges identified by the clinical staff. Makes corrections as
needed. Runs daily log report to ensure that all registered
patients have been charged and logged.
- Demonstrates professional behavior, follows customer service
expectations and participates as a collaborative member of the
patient care team.
- 4)Communicates pertinent information and any information
regarding delays with patients and families. Disseminates accurate
and complete information to all inquiries regarding patient care,
hours, services, programs, etc.
- 5)Serves as a positive role model for peers and staff.
Demonstrates support of the organization, department and staff
through all words and actions. Displays pleasant personality and
positively contributes to department morale.
- 6)Anticipates the needs of the department and others. Modifies
work schedule to cover vacancies, assists on special projects or
meet work deadlines.
- 7)Observes guidelines concerning dress, display of name badge
and presents an appearance appropriate to the work environment.
Assists in keeping environment neat and orderly.
- 8)Demonstrates initiative by identifying opportunities for
improvement and works collaboratively with the patient care team to
develop and implement solutions.
- 9)Attends department meetings, classroom education and
independantly completes online learning in a timely manner.
Participates in opportunities to grow and develop in position and
improve the department.
- 10)Participates in problem solving issues addressing patients,
department operations, quality assurance procedures,
interdepartmental relations, and employee morale.
- 1)Provides competent, appropriate and timely service to all
customer groups. Consistently practices good internal customer
service, remembering that peers, patients and physicians are
- 2)Greets everyone appropriately (utilizes good eye contact,
smiles, verbal acknowledgement). Introduces self and explains
- 3)Supports the team environment and collaborates with team
members. Works well as a team player.
- Demonstrates committment to providing quality and safe patient
care by participating in performance / process improvement and
adherence to all accepted safety standards and practices to ensure
patient safety and quality patient care
- 1)Utilizes preventative measures and maintains compliance with
established safety standards to protect patients and staff at all
times. Identifies potential and actual problems which put people at
risk for injury.
- 2)Assists in the development and implementation of improvement
processes as applicable.
- 3)Participates in performance improvement activities. Gathers,
documents and reports data as necessary. Demonstrates committment
to quality by achieving compliance on primary responsibilities and
- 4)Adheres to all policies, procedures and regulatory
expectations. Understands and follows HIPAA, other regulations and
standard, hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
- Participates in educational opportunities to increase
professional competence. Provides instruction and orientation to
secretaries as needed.
- 4)Provides direction and instruction to other
secretaries/registrars in need of assistance with specific
- 5)Recognizes own needs for continued learning and assumes
responsibility for own continuing education.
- 1)If applicable, as a preceptor, collaborates with others to
individualize the orientation plan for new departmental
- 2)Presents or coordinates inservices for staff.
- 3)Independently completes mandatory annual educational
requirements and follows through and meets deadlines for other
- HS diploma or equivalent. 2 years experience preferrably in a
health care/customer service position. Previous healthcare
experience preferred.Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Effective organizational and prioritization skills. Computer
literate. Types at 35 wpm preferred. Knowledge of office equipment.
Effective interpersonal and customer service skills
- N/APhysicial Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with established
time constraints and difficult situations Must be able to make
independent professional decisions pertaining to high quality
patient care Must possess visual acuity and manual dexterity to
perform computer data entry and other clerical aspects of job. May
walk, sit, stand, bend, stoop, twist and reach in conjunction with
the job requirements. Must be able to function with minimal
assistance in performing job activities Must be conscientious in
practicing high quality patient care Must be able to work weekends,
holidays, rotating shifts and occassionally at other off-site
locations. May be exposed to a variety of illness and medical
conditions. This position can recognize needs and behaviors of the
following age groups: pediatric (newborn, toddler, school-age),
adolescent, adult, older adult. Evidence of this can be shown by
recognizing levels of development and modifying approach and
exhibiting communication skills necessary to interpret age specific
- If position has direct patient care or direct patient contact
the following lifting requirement supersedes any previous lifting
requirement effective 06/01/2015. Ability to lift up to 35 pounds
without assistance. For patient lifts of over 35 pounds, or when
patient is unable to assist with the lift, patient handling
equipment is expected to be used, with at least one other
associate, when available. Unique patient lifting/movement
situations will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.This job
description indicates the general nature and level of work expected
of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a
comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities
required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be required to perform
other related duties.
Keywords: Advocate Health, Elgin , Patient Access Registrar, Other , Elgin, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!